Everything about Hair Transplantsand Hair Transplant Center That You Should Know
Hair transplant is a process which involves the transfer of hair follicles from one thicker hair area of the head to the bald area. It could also be done using hair from other parts of the body. About 60 percent of the men and 50% of women experience this particular hair loss.
Is hair transplanting a successful method?
Many have claimed that this method is successful against over the counter restoration products. However, there are certain factors that should be considered:
· Based on statistical record, about 10-80 percent of the transplant will grow back in three to four months
· Like the original hair, transplanted hair will also undergo thinning over time.
· People who are found to have dormant hair follicles (those sacs containing hair beneath the skin but the hair is not anymore growing) are likely to have less effective transplants. But in recent study the use of plasma can really help in 75 percent of the cases to fully grow again.
This means that hair transplant is not for everyone, it is largely used to restore hair. For those who are balding or have lost hair due to a certain injury in the head, this method is not recommended. Also for those who have loss hair due to the chemotherapy medication too
How does it work?
As earlier mentioned it is a mere transfer of a hair follicle from one area to the bald area done at the hair transplant center. Before the surgeon starts the procedure he will have to sterilize the area from where the hair follicles are going to be removed. Then he numbs the area using a local anesthesia. He will then perform either of the two transplant methods:
1. The Follicular unit transplantation or follicular strip surgery (FUSS)- where strips are being taken from one area then transferred to the bald area. This is like skin grafting.
2. The Follicular unit extraction (FUE) – involves the taking and transfer of each follicle from the area where there are thick hair to the bald area.
How much is the cost of hair transplant?
Hair transplants procedure ranges from $4,000 to a whopping $15,000 and the additional costsdepending on the following:
· extent of the transplants’ procedure
· Health insurance coverage requirements
· The Fee of the surgeon which is related to his experience and success records
· What surgical technique will be used
Most insurance companies consider transplant as a cosmetic procedure which is not covered by insurance. In such case, the whole cost of the procedure will likely be out of the pocket of the patient. In addition, the required hospital stay is added to the cost as well as the medications required for aftercare.